Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell stricken

The televangelist was found unconscious in his office at Liberty University in Virginia and is said to be in gravely serious condition in a hospital.

I'm no fan of Falwell. No, let's not beat around the bush: I think he's a fraud, a bigot and a menace to America. But I wish him well in this situation, as I would any person.

UPDATE: Falwell has died.

UPDATE II: Lest we forget: Within days of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Falwell appeared on Pat Robertson's "700 Club" and had this to say: "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'" (Robertson expressed full agreement.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too did not wish any ill health for Jerry Falwell. But I hope the Christian right and the Bush administration don't glorify the guy. Falwell delivered blatantly racist sermons in the 1960's and at that time preached against ministers who engaged in politics and supported civil rights. See Chris Hedges' book "American Fascists."

The Rascal said...

Now that you mention it, I've got a quote from a segregationist sermon Falwell delivered during the Civil Rights era: “The true Negro does not want integration. He realizes his potential is far better among his own race. Who then is propagating this terrible thing? First of all, we see the hand of Moscow in the background . . .” Boy, the guy had a real nose for commie rats, didn't he?