Sunday, July 22, 2007

Is this over the top?


I'm not asking that question rhetorically. I'm really not sure what to make of this column by Paul Craig Roberts, a former assistant treasury secretary in the Reagan administration, a former associate editor of the Wall Street Journal editorial page and a contributing editor of the National Review (in short, a bona fide conservative).

Roberts is dramatic, to put it mildly: "Unless Congress immediately impeaches Bush and Cheney, a year from now the U.S. could be a dictatorial police state at war with Iran...The American constitutional system is near to being overthrown."

Man, them's strong words. Even I, a liberal who's ever distrustful of the Bush administration, haven't imagined anything so apocalyptic. And this Roberts guy, as I say, is a conservative.

I hope he's wrong. If he's not, I hope Congress heeds his warning.

POSTSCRIPT: Roberts is the second prominent conservative in recent days to argue strongly for the impeachment of Bush and Cheney. A week ago today, I offered here a link to a 25-minute video of Bruce Fein making his case for giving these guys the heave-ho.

No comments: